A dining table is a flat surfaced table (which all tables are) standing on four or more legs depending on shape and size and is used for formal dining. These tables come in a wide range of shape and size depending on the requirements and choice of the people. The most popular shapes that a dining table could be in are: rectangular, square, round and oval. The no. of legs on which a dining table or any other table stands also varies in accordance with its shape and size for example there some tables which stand on a single leg e.g. a round table, some have three legs also known as tripods but the most common amongst them are four legged tables.
It can be very expensive to have a readymade dining table. If you have some wooden blocks in your junkyard then a beautiful and cheap dining table can be made at home by using ordinary creative skills. The idea of making your own dining table might sound a bit daunting but still it is manageable. There can be many ways to make a dining table but all you need to know is just the basic idea of this project.
Difficulty Level: As this project involves some drilling, usage of saw and painting so it can be classified as moderate.
Time Required: This interesting project can be completed in a couple of hours.
1. Reclaimed Wood Blocks (length dependent on the size of table)
4. Steel Wool
5. Sand paper
6. A drill machine
7. Screw Driver
10. Rip saw or hand saw
11. Saw horses
Estimate Cost: The budget of this project can vary in accordance with the parts you are using. But a budget of 100$ is sufficient for its making.
1. The very first step is to remove the nails or screws present on the board with the help of a player.
2. Now cut the reclaimed wooden blocks to similar length and width.
3. Next step is to line them up and if necessary to make them rectangular or square you can run them through with a joiner first and then with a table saw.
4. Make a rectangular base pallet by joining four wooden blocks.
5 Attach the table top to the base pallet with screws using a drill or with the nails using a hammer.
6. Screw the legs into the bottom of the base pallets.
7. With the help of sand paper or glass wool make the rough and burred surfaces smooth.
8. Lastly paint your table with the desired color and let it dry.
Now the table is ready to serve the meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make a round or oval shaped table at home?
Well to make a round or oval shaped table one need to be well trained as it requires quite skill to cut the wooden block in a round or oval shape. So if you are interested in making a round or oval shaped table then first get the wooden blocks cut in round or oval shape by a professional carpenter. Afterwards all you need to do is just assemble them accurately.
2. What should I do to make my table long lasting?
If you want to make a table of good durability then you can try these tricks like choose good blocks that are not eaten by bugs and you can also paint it or regularly oil it and even use wax and polyurethane to make it weather resistant.
1. Make use of a scale or inch tape to get the right dimensions.
2. Make sure that all the screws are tight otherwise there might be awkward sounds and even scenarios of imbalance.
3. You can use a pencil or a marker while attaching all the parts to avoid any confusion or error.
4. You can use wax, oil, paint or polyurethane to make your table weather and bug resistant.
5. You can also use small wheels in your table to make it easily movable.
Things to watch out for
1. Make the rough and raised surfaces smooth otherwise that might catch your elbows or rip your clothes while dining.
2. Paint the table to protect it from the weather and bugs.
3. Attach the legs at proper and equal distances so as to avoid any case of imbalance.
4. While removing nails or screws be careful or you might end up injuring your hands.
5. While accessorizing your table be careful about its weight. The weight should be properly and evenly distributed otherwise it might cause trouble for you and the people dining around it.