Losing weight and maintaining shape is one of the top things in the minds of most people. But what if you could buy equipment which will help you shed calories and also generate electricity? If you think buying this type of equipmentwill cost you a bomb,go the DIY route and save big.
What is this equipment?
Image Source :GotWind.Org
This equipment which actually lets you lose calories and also lets you generate electricity is a pedal powered generator. A pedal powered generator helps in generating electricity as you pedal. This is similar to pedalling a stationary bicycle. All you need to do is rig your bicycle with a motor and connect an inverter to convert the DC current into AC current. This device does value addition to the mechanical work like pedalling a stationary bike. The electricity generated by this generator can be use to light tube lights, run mixers,blenders etc. Though this generator may not put a huge dent on your utility bills, it is definitely a good way of generating power.
Things you will need to build your own pedal powered generator
You can make a pedal powered generator from a used bicycle. In addition to a bicycle, you will need a motor (12 V or more), diode,battery,invertor and wires. Along with these, you will also need a piece of wood, wrench, V-belt, saw, screws made up of wood, hammer, screwdriver and measuring tape. If the motor is without a mounting bracket, you will need perforated plumbers steel.
Step-by-step guide to building a pedal powered generator
- Take a road bike as these bikes help generate more watts of power and have smooth tires. Avoid using mountain bikes or town bikes. Make use of single speed bikes which will ensure each person generates the same power.
- For the motor make use of electric scooter motors of 24 V. The revolutions per minute of the motor are directly proportional to the motor’s voltage output.The larger voltage will be obtained with downhill gear as compared to uphill gear.
- In order to mount the generator, make a stand from scrap wood. Place a long board in front of the rear tyre of the bike. To give stability pass a board from underneath the bike from right to left. This stand will be used to mount the generator.
- Remove the rubber tyres from the bike and place a V-belt by removing the wheel from the bike and also remove the wheel mounting nuts. Replace these nuts with pegs which will help the bike to stay upright.
- Nail angled boards to keep the bike stand in place.
- Place the motor on wooden board.Place the belt around the pulley.If the belt does not fit well then some modification may be required
- You also need to put nails on the board through the motor mount holes. This is required to keep the motor in place.
- In order to provide stability to the bike, you can place a board underneath the front wheel as well.
- You will have to regulate the voltage. You can do this by using a DC to DC voltage regulator or you can make use of a capacitor which will help regulate the output voltage from the motor.
- In the case of AC mains power appliances, you will have to use an inverter to convert the DC current into AC current.
- If in doubt then get in touch with an electrician who will guide you well for the purpose.
Pedal power generators help in converting the mechanical energy into electrical energy. They are useful in your workout sessions and at the same time; they help in converting the human energy into power.