In order to provide the necessary nutrients to in plants, it is not necessary that you have to use soil. There are various other techniques wherein you can still grow plants. If gardening is your favorite hobby, then you can defiantly try Hydroponic Gardening for a change. For those who do not know what hydroponic gardening is; this article will help you out. This is a very interesting and fascinating concept to use if you want to grow plants. Before we start with the advantages and disadvantages of this form of gardening, first let us understand what the concept is all about.
What is hydroponic gardening?
It is an interesting way to grow plants without the use of soil. The idea is to grow plants in water containing soluble minerals. Using the help of water, you will still help your plants to get all the nutrients it needs without using soil. Through this method, the water absorbs quickly and helps the plant to grow.
The good part of Hydroponic Gardening
Just like any process, hydroponics too has its own advantages and disadvantages. Many homeowners choose hydroponic gardening for the benefits it offers. We also use this concept while growing vertical gardens. Given below are some of the advantages.
- You require less space for developing this garden, and, it takes lesser time for the plants to grow.
- The best way to grow the plants well is by using a grow tent. You can easily buy the tents from the market according to the size you prefer. Therefore, you will be able to control the plants according to your convenience.
- Other benefits of hydroponic gardening are that you can reduce water usage because the water used initially stays in the system and can be reused always. You may only need to add very little water whenever required.
- Garden maintenance and labor costs can be reduced greatly.
- You may get higher yields due to fast growth.
- The nutrition costs are less because you can easily control the amount of nutrition.
- Since the containers used for the plants are mobile, you can prevent the attack of pests and disease-causing organisms.
- Another important aspect is weeds. There is no soil required; hence, there is no need to worry about weeds as well.
Understanding the bad side of Hydroponic Gardening
Though hydroponic gardens offer many benefits, there are some disadvantages associated with them. Some of the negative sides of this method of gardening include, high costs, maintenance, disease etc.
Cost: High cost is one of the biggest disadvantages of hydroponic gardening. The initial setup cost is very high because you may need to purchase all the necessary equipment. The setup cost is more when compared to the normal gardens.
Maintenance: Unlike the soil-based gardens, you may need to take care of your hydroponic garden more frequently. The time you spend on the garden depends on the kind of system you use, the active or the passive system. You may however need to spend more time daily.
Disease: Many people believe that hydroponic plants are free from diseases. This is not true because most of the plants share the same solution. So, water-borne diseases can spread easily throughout your garden. The chances of contacting disease are more when compared to the normal gardens.
The ugly side of Hydroponic Gardening
There are some ugly sides of hydroponic gardening too. Unlike other gardens, these gardens rely on power supply. They are easily vulnerable to power outages. The machines used for providing nutrients to the plants require power for working.
A power outrage can easily damage your plants; this is because the devices will not function properly. Due to which, the plants will not get the necessary nutrition they need. In some cases, they may die as well. Therefore, you have to work manually to overcome such situations. This means that you will have to spend more time with your hydroponic garden.
A final note on Hydroponic gardening
Before you can decide on maintaining a hydroponic garden, you have to ensure that you educate yourself properly. You need more knowledge that is technical so that you can support the garden properly by providing the right amount of water, nutrients, lighting etc. There are so many concepts like the Omega Hydroponic garden that you can use to your benefit.
Further more you need to ensure that your plants get adequate supply of warmth and oxygen for proper growth. When you are ready with appropriate knowledge, equipment and time, you can maintain a hydroponic garden in your home without facing any difficulties.