Panasonic, the electronic giant has a strong presence in the Asia-Pacific region. In the past few years the companies philosophy has been to ‘Go Green’, as a conscious effort the company has started Eco-freindly factory set ups in various parts of Asia-Pacific. Keeping in line, the company has opened up its 5th such Eco-factory at Vietnam. Panasonic likes to call these factories as ‘Eco-Idea’ factories. The company ‘Panasonic Asia-Pacific’ had resolved and committed years ago to operate at least one Eco-idea factory in each and every country where it already has an operational manufacturing site. The target to complete this project is March 2013. In wake of this project the company has already opened up Eco-Idea factories at Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. These factories are into the manufacturing of lighting, appliances and electronics. The facility in Vietnam is the 5th one. One factory is to be started in India this year and then 2 more next year.
[box_dark]What is this Eco-Idea ideology all about?[/box_dark]
- Panasonic believes that its ‘Eco-Idea’ manufacturing units will make environmentally responsible products using sustainable technology and processes.
- The company has a vision that its factories become future models in a manner so as to host a range of outreach activities and thereby educate the community.
- The company is using its factories to promote a number of sustainable initiatives.
- Panasonic has a vision to become the top Green innovation Company in the electronics industry by the year 2013.
- Under the Eco-Idea initiative, Panasonic aims to reach out to at least 200,000 students through factory tours by next year. They intend to increase the awareness of the need for more sustainability manufacturing practices throughout the region.
- The Eco-Idea initiative encompasses a lot more. It has a wide range of initiatives which includes development of such technologies that will support a zero carbon lifestyle.
- One of the major agenda’s is also the adoption of sustainable business practices across the entire company.
About The Vietnam Factory
Fifth in the series of ‘Eco-Idea’ units, the Vietnam factory has already set a benchmark in manufacturing. The set up has set up a benchmark in manufacturing for low emissions and waste, and minimizing chemical use. Mr. Sinchi Wakita, General Director of Panasonic Vietnam Group quoted, “Environmental deterioration is prevalent not only in Vietnam, but also in many other parts of the world. The choice is ours to reduce the impact of this alarming trend and ensure environmental sustainability. ‘Eco ideas’ and eco activities have been a core focus in Panasonic since 2007. We hope through the ‘Eco ideas’ Factory and Eco activities being conducted, Panasonic is able to play an effective role in changing mindsets and driving individuals to assume greater environmental responsibility in their communities”.
Besides the Eco-Idea initiative, Panasonic has on its radar some more creative and Eco-friendly projects. This initiative seems like an urban residential project. The project is known by the name ‘Sustainable Smart Town in Japan’ and is expected to go on the floors by March 2014. the town will showcase a range of Panasonic technologies. These are technologies that can provide a comprehensive solution to a smart urban development. World over organizations and corporates have come to realize the importance of conserving the environment and working towards building set ups that are environment friendly in nature. This very creative initiative by Panasonic is exemplary of the fact that company establishments have become much more responsible environmentally. Not are they focusing on technological development and simpler and easy lifestyle. The focus is also on building environment friendly technology. This is a beginning, hope many more will follow soon.