An artistic eye and technical skill are required to make a Superhero Can Dress up. The material used is empty cola cans. Cans of the “Red Bull” drink are preferable because of their eye-catching colors and the fact that they are made up of aluminium instead of tin. The advantage is that the edges are rust free and easy to cut and join. Making the suit may take time depending on your expertise of handling tools and in cutting as well as joining the cans as the cans are prone to cracking.
Difficulty Level: Challenging (Requires considerable experience and expertise.)
Time Required: 1- 2 weeks
1. 300 to 400 aluminium cans of average height and size.
2. A pair of scissors.
5. Blind rivets
7. Grommets (5mm)
8. Hook and Loop fastener
9. Tin foil
10. Steel band
Estimated cost: INR 2000 to 3000 approx
The cost may vary according to the size and number of cans used.
1) Remove the bottom and the cap, cut strips from the cans according to your choice of color. Don’t forget to wear gloves to protect your hands from sharp edges.
2) Measure your body size and make a frame for your shoulder and front. Connect the strips with steel band and tin foil.
3) Similarly, for the legs measure your size, make a frame and connect everything with grommets.
4) To ensure adequate movement and flexibility at the knee and and other joints, use elastic bands which allow free movements. Use some loosely rivetted strips for covering the gaps between the thigh and shank connected with the elastic band in the middle. Approximately 2800 grommets would be required to connect all the pieces.
5) At the back of the entire frame, a zip can be used to make the dress easy to wear.
6) Make the helmet in two parts. At the top, these parts are connected with a hinge to give it a proper fit and shape.
7) At last, you should have 12 pieces that include:
2 shoes: each shoe has two parts which are connected with hook and loop fastener and beneath that you can wear your old shoes or thick sock.
2 legs: the pieces for the legs are connected on the back with zipper. Try wearing it for the perfect fit while making.
2 pieces for the hip: Both pieces are designed separately. After that hook and loop fastener can be used to join those pieces.
1 piece for the torso: With a piece that looks like a mat that you can surround the torso. On the back you connect it with a wide loop and hook fastener.
1 component for shoulders and front.
2 arms: You can use elastic bands to join the arms. At the elbow they have a articulated join for the movement and at last the neck and a helmet.
Wear all the parts separately but carefully. Please wear clothes below the Superhero outfit so that you will be comfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) How is the layout and shape determined?
A: Take exact measurements and record them. Build frames that suit your body type. Leave a little room for movement.
2) What tools are used to cut the cans?
A: To cut the cans, you will need a strong pair of scissors, a die grinder. Use a sandpaper to soften the sharp edges of the strips.
3) How are the pieces of aluminium attached?
A: Use super glue or loop or hook fasteners.
4) How many sections are made, and how are they held together?
It depends on the size and number of the can foils.
5) Can we use any other cans?
Yes, you can but be careful regarding its metal sheet as well as color and size.
Quick tips :
Be careful with joints. Check the entire costume and joints before trying it on.