Considering the increasing threat of global warming and climate change, people around the world are taking up green practices to contribute toward the environment. So, why not make our food green too? Eating lower on the food chain can help to minimize our personal environmental impact. But, if you think that incorporating more earth-friendly meals into your menu would mean boring and tasteless food, then you are wrong. Here is a recipe of a mouth-watering Cranberry Orange Cake that is green.
Cranberry Orange Cake
This lip-smacking cake can be cooked in just 1 hour 5 minutes.
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1/3 cup orange juice
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 tablespoons cranberry-flavored liqueur
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped dates
• 1 cup fresh cranberries
• 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
• 1 cup orange juice
• 3/4 cup white sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Sieve together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of white sugar, 1/3 cup of orange juice, eggs, buttermilk, cranberry liqueur and vegetable oil using an electric mixer. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Fold in the chopped dates, cranberries and orange zest. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the crown of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan set over a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving plate. In a small saucepan, stir together 1 cup of orange juice and 3/4 cup of white sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Use a large spoon to drizzle the sauce over the cake. Poke the cake with a fork or toothpick to help it absorb all of the sauce, or until the cake is thoroughly moistened.
5. Make the cake even more tempting by dress up with cream, fresh cranberries and oranges.
Cranberries are not only known for their visual appeal and rich taste, but also for their high nutrition value. They are high in vitamin C and in fiber. The vitamins loaded orange also protect our body against harmful elements. So baking a Cranberry Orange Cake would mean great health benefits like avoiding urinary tract infections, asthma, bronchitis, respiratory disorders, kidney stones, dental care, cancer and heart diseases.
The Cranberry Orange Cake requires fruits and fruit juices, saving the precious wildlife. Picking up fair trade produce or locally produces ingredients will reduce both the cost of transportation and the carbon footprint associated with it.